What can homeowners do to protect themselves? The best pest control strategy for deterring a spider infestation, is to reduce the pest population of other insects (food source); from inside the house or building. This approach encourages spider intruders to leave your dwelling, in search for a more dependable food supply; outside of the home.
With that in mind, here are 10 dependable pest control tips, for reducing the number of spider/pest invaders; in your home:
- Install snug-fitting screens, on all windows and doors. It is also recommended, that you install door sweeps; as well.
- Seal or caulk cracks and crevices where spiders/insects could enter the house or building.
- Install yellow/sodium vapor light bulbs outside, to attract fewer insects; for spiders to feed upon.
- Tape the edges of cardboard boxes to prevent spider/insect entry.
- Use plastic bags (sealed) to store loose items in the garage, basement and attic.
- Remove old boxes, unused clothing, wood/rock piles, trash and other unwanted items.
- Eliminate clutter in closets, basements, attics, garages, and outbuildings.
- Do not stack wood against the house.
- Clean up dead insects.
- Dust and vacuum thoroughly to remove spiders, webs, and egg sacs (dispose of the vacuum bag in a sealed container outside).